Best Hostels in El Paredon, Guatemala
If you are a beach lover and ever visit Guatemala, you must travel to one of the fastest-growing locations in the country in El Paredon. This is a black sand beach on the Pacific Coast of Guatemala that is famous for its waves and parties. If you already know you want to visit here and instead are looking for the best hostels in El Paredon, then you have come to the right place.
As I said previously, this is a fast-growing location in Guatemala. I’m sure there will be new hostels in El Paredon that weren’t there when I visited. There was a lot of construction going on around us but the area still had that much wanted the secluded feel to it. This area is on my bucket list of places I have to go back to.
Where is El Paredon Located in Guatemala?
El Paredon is located in the Southern Region of Guatemala on the Pacific Coast. It is 2 hours from Antigua and around 3 hours from Lake Atitlan.
When I visited there were no ATMs in the entire town. This can change by the time you visit but be sure to bring enough cash with you for your stay. Most hostels in El Paredon do use credit cards but those could come with fees.
How to Get to El Paredon
With how remote El Paredon is and seems, it is actually quite easy to get here. There are shuttles leaving every day from the popular locations in Guatemala. Below I will explain multiple options when coming from Lake Atitlan and Antigua.
Lake Atitlan to El Paredon
- The best overall way to travel from Lake Atitlan to El Paredon is by shuttle
- This shuttle takes 3 hours and you will have to get off and onto a boat for the last 10 minutes
- It is possible to go straight from San Pedro La Laguna instead of meeting in Panajachel but this isn’t suggested.
- If you leave from San Pedro, the shuttle will first go to Antigua then El Paredon whereas leaving from Panajachel is a straight shot
- The cost of the shuttle from Panajachel to El Paredon costs around Q180.
Antigua to El Paredon
- There are more options from here such as chicken busses or taking an uber
- Shuttle bus is still recommended for most travelers as it should be around Q100
- If you are up for an adventure then taking the chicken busses might suit you. You will have to transfer busses and then take a tuk-tuk when you get closer to town
- This doesn’t save that much money and a shuttle is still more cost-effective
- If you have a group of people then an uber can be a good choice. It will cost between $50 and $60 USD
- You will not have to get on a boat when coming from Antigua
Quick Overview: The Best Hostels in El Paredon
- Best Party Hostel in El Paredon: Driftwood Surfer
- Best Cheap Hostel in El Paredon: Hostal Mi Casa en La Playa
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in El Paredon: Mellow Hostel
- Best Overall Hostel in El Paredon: Cocori Lodge
My Suggested Travel Gear
Below is a list of some of my favorite hiking/travel gear that I bring with me everywhere. Everything below is something I currently use and never leave my house without.
- KEEN Durand II Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots: I finally upgraded my hiking boots in 2022 and these are fantastic. They have top-notch ankle support and are super durable.
- Petzl Tikka Headlamp: A headlamp for hiking is a must if you’re like me and love sunrise hikes. This is a great price for a quality headlamp and also has a good red light to not disturb others in the morning.
- Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks: I originally got these as a present but I had to buy more because these are the most comfortable hiking socks I’ve ever tried on.
- Grayl GeoPress Water Filter Bottle: You will never have to rebuy plastic water bottles. This is the best water filtering device on the market. It is excellent for hikers and travelers alike.
Best Hostels in El Paredon
El Paredon is a surfer’s paradise and a great break from areas like Antigua and Lake Atitlan. One of my favorite ways to set up an itinerary is by doing a lot of adventurous activities such as hiking and then ending the trip at the beach to relax/recover.
If you want more freedom to look at hostels in El Paredon, then you can always visit Hostelworld’s website.
Best Party Hostel in El Paredon
Driftwood Surfer is one of the more well-known hostels in El Paredon if you are wanting to meet new people and party a lot. A lot of people staying here you might also see doing activities around Guatemala like Hiking Volcan Acatenango.
I only visited here one night to play a beer pong tournament. It seems that in El Paredon every night there is a new party at a different hostel that everyone in town will go to.
- Beachfront Pool
- ~$16 USD Per Night
- Rooftop Restaurant
- Baby Turtle Release
Best Cheap Hostel in El Paredon
Hostal Mi Casa en La Playa is one of the cheapest hostels in El Paredon but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. With an 8.1 star review on Hostelworld, you will definitely get your money’s worth. Unfortunately, there is no A/C at this hostel but there is a pool and many fans.
This is the perfect place if you just want a place to sleep. The pool and amenities are the best when compared to others but it gets the job done. There is also free breakfast which is always a great added perk.
- Beachfront Property
- ~$10 USD
- Free Breakfast and Coffee
- Quality Restaurant
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in El Paredon
Mellow Hostel is one of the most popular hostels in El Paredon and for good reason. It seems everyone I ran into had nothing bad to say about the place. It is easy to meet people, with amazing-looking properties, and good amenities. The only issue for me is that it wasn’t a beachfront property and was at the same price as others that were.
You can always visit here as there will be parties going on that many people will be at.
- Many Activities
- Great Food/Drink Selection
- Picturesque Building
- ~$18 USD
Best Overall Hostel in El Pardeon: Cocori Lodge
Cocori Lodge is in my opinion the best overall hostel in El Paredon. I may be a little bit biased here as this is where I stayed but you can see for yourself. The combination of amenities, beachfront, amazing pool, great bar scene, and moderate pricing makes this the top choice in my eyes.
The price has jumped up in the last year due to the growing popularity of the region but it is money well spent. They also just completed new rooms that are a little bit more expensive but look amazing.
The food here is also to die for. I miss it already.
- ~$17 USD
- Beachfront Property
- Amazing Restaurant
- Great Pool
- Wonderful Staff
More Best Hostels in El Paredon
The list above is some of the best hostels you can stay at in El Paredon. This is a growing area so there are plenty more places to choose from if you don’t like those or they are fully booked.
Hotel Evenezer is a great place for a private room that is still close to the beach. These rooms are very spacious and have A/C in them. Alongside this, you will also get your own private bathroom.
Like many places in El Paredon, it has a pool if you want to relax here instead of by the beach.
- ~$62 USD for a Private Room
- TV in Room
- Away from the Late Night Noise
Bedrooms Where Charlie
Bedrooms Where Charlie was just opening up as I arrived in El Paredon last year, so nobody really knew about it. It is located on the main road in El Paredon, very close to Cocori Lodge.
It has received an 8.9 rating on Hostelworld out of almost 60 reviews. Be sure to check this place out!
- Mangrove Tours
- ~$15 USD
Paredon Surf House
Paredon Surf House is another unique beachfront property in El Paredon. This location has great reviews for it how clean it is kept. This is a top location for couples looking for a spot away from the madness in El Paredon.
Everything is always still within walking distance but it is nice to be away from the main party hostel section. If I visit here again, this will be at the top of my list of places to stay.
- Free Wifi
- Airport Shuttle
- An Amazing Pool
- ~$61 for Private Room w/ Seaview
Things to do in El Paredon
After booking your hostel in El Paredon, you may be wondering what activities you can do in El Paredon. Besides partying and relaxing, there are many great things this area has to offer.
This area is home to Mangroves, which is popular to paddle board through. There is a company called La Choza Chula which is a non-profit organization that runs different tours and activities throughout El Paredon.
Below are some of the activities that you can do when visiting El Paredon:
- Surf in the World Class Waves
- Visit Local Mangroves
- Turtle Releasing Tour (Date Dependent)
- Guatemala Cooking Class
- Bracelet Making Class
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in El Paredon
It is possible for this list to be changing on a monthly basis, as new hostels and hotels are popping up often. The bar has been set high, especially for these beachfront properties. Each of the hostels has different things to offer and I hope you were able to find one that suits your wants. I highly suggest staying at Cocori Lodge but you can’t go wrong with any hostel/hotel on this list.
Thank you for reading my guide on the best hostels in El Paredon!